over a vast area of 411 acres, the University has an exceptionally
beautiful and picturesque campus. The
lush green lawns adorned with beautiful fountains of the British times and
the majestic building of the University are a constant source of attraction
to the aesthetically oriented people of Pune, filmmakers, musicians and
celebrities. The University campus is covered with a large number of
age - old trees, which provide shade and
beauty, and the peaceful surrounding make for a very invigorating
environment for serious studies and research
The University of Pune is symbolically identified with the Main
Building, it is a monumental building with a beautiful architecture, and its
tower project high in to the sky bearing the flag of the University.
The office of the Vice-Chancellor, Dean's Chambers and Records Section are
located in the Main Building. Meeting of various academic bodies are
conducted in the four prestigious halls of the Main Building Viz., Yashwantrao Chavan Sabhagriha, Sant
Dnyaneshwar Sabhagriha, Shivaji Sabhagriha and the Sant Gadge Maharaj
Thus Goes the
The lofty Main Building of the University
of Pune was once the residence of the governors of Bombay in the days of
the British Raj. It was built in 1864 when Sir Bartle Frere was the
Governor. Designed by James Trubshawe, the magnificent edifice was built
in Ganeshkhind, on the outskirts of what was then called Poona.
Architecturally, it defies classification though its spiritual
antecedents are Italian and the 80 feet flag tower has been described as
an 'Victorian rendering of an Italian campanile'. The building was
inspired by Prince Albert's Osborne House on the Isle of Wight.
The cost of residence was Sterling Pound
175'000 to build, nearly six times the amount raised by the sale of the
Governor's previous residence. The building of such a palatial house in
the aftermath of the cotton crash in Bombay was severely criticized and
referred by the British Parliament as 'a typical instance of the
extravagance and insubordination of the Governors of Bombay'. Sir Frere
defended his action staunchly, the house was not habitable by the time
he left India in 1867. His successor, Sir Seymour FitzGerald carried out
the furnishing and decoration, and he in turn was criticized for being
extravagant, especially for the sterling pound 500 chandelier in the
ballroom-which still sparkles, adding to the grandeur of the Ballroom!
Work is on to restore it to its original glory.