Prof. (Dr.) Vijay Khare
Dr. Vijay Khare is a Senior Professor & Head, Department of Defence and Strategic Studies (DDSS), Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune (SPPU). He had awarded Partial Fellowship by the United Nations University, Tokyo, Japan. Dr. Khare was selected for the United Nations Short Course on Hologrammatic Terrorism United Nations, Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute, University of Rome, Italy. He completed an Executive Leadership Program and Advanced Mediation and Peacemaking program at the University of London, UK.
Dr. Khare is a recipient of the prestigious Fulbright Fellowship at Washington D.C.USA. He had been awarded Erasmus Fellowship by the European Commission at Masaryk University Czech Republic. Moreover, he received the Social Scientist Award for the research work under the Indo-French Social Scientist Exchange Programme at the Foundation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme, Paris France. He was being invited by US State Department under the International Visitors Programme to attend the ‘US Multilateral Diplomacy’ program and visited several universities in Washington DC, San Francisco Texas and New York under US State Sponsored Program. He also completed “Academy Leadership Academy” Programme at the Center for the Study of Higher Education, Penn State University, USA. Regarding research, he received Post-Doctoral Fellowship from the University Grants Commission (UGC).
Director of Office for International Affairs (formerly International Centre):
Since September 2012, as the Director of the International Centre, Dr. Khare provides excellent leadership to all international engagements for internalization of higher education. Under his dynamic leadership, collaborations have been extended with renowned universities engaged in a number of National and International Projects and actively involved in European Commission Funded Projects. He is one of the finest academicians and administrators who have generated a large amount of revenue to the University through a remarkable International Collaborative Projects, International Students Admission Fees and other MOUs with different leading Universities and Organizations including Pen State University USA.
Dr. Khare has completed more than 12 International Projects entitled Erasmus Mundus, Erasmus +, EXPERTS4ASIA, Experts Sustain, EMINTE, EUPHRATES, Euro Culture, EXPERTS I, II, III, Strong Ties, INDIA4EU, Lund Lot 13 (EMECW), Erasmus Mundus External Cooperation Window and Euro-India.
At present, he is engaged in Four (04) International Capacity Building Higher Education Projects with European Union namely, Tuning India, (International Collaborative Project with seven (07) European Universities and ten (10) Indian Universities. European project partners are University of Duesto,
Spain, University of Porto Portugal, Groningen University Netherland, Trinity College Dublin (TCD), Ireland, University BOLOGNA Italy; Education for an Interdependent World (EDIW), Belgium and fifteen (15) Indian Universities. Second Joint International Collaborative Project namely Social Innovation for Local Indian and Israeli Communities and Graduate Entrepreneurs (SILICE) with Four European universities University of Applied Sciences, Vern Croatia, Technical University of Berlin Germany, University of Lisbon, Portugal, The University of Edinburgh, UK five(05) Israel Universities IDC Herzlia, Tel-Hai College, SAPIR College, Oranim Academic College of Education The college of Sakhnin and five(05) Indian Universities. Besides, Third International Collaborative Project with four (04) European Universities and ten (10) Indian Universities Alliance of Universities to Reinforce Teacher Training Outcast Radicalism and Promote Equality in Asian Societies (AURORA) European Partners Cork University Ireland, UMS University Malaga Spain, Masaryk University, Czech Republic, Napoca University, Romania. Similarly, Fourth International Collaborative Project with Four (04) European Countries and twelve (12) Indian Universities on Resources for Internationalization of Higher Education Institutions in India (RISHII) European Partners University of Duesto, Spain, Groningen University Netherland, University of Porto –Portugal, University of Pisa, Italy.
While completing International Projects and academic work Dr. Khare visited numerous countries, such as the USA, China, France, Japan, the United Kingdom, Russia, Canada, Germany, Spain, Italy, Indonesia and many others.
Dr. Khare’s contribution to research publication is remarkable. It is given below-
- Twenty-one (21) books in English and Marathi,
- Fifteen (15) chapters in edited books are to his credit.
- Twenty-one (21) research papers in various reputed journals at international and national level.
- He had undertaken Twenty-two (22) Research Projects (including 14 Joint International collaborative projects 8 National projects).
Contribution as a Research Guide:
Under his able guidance.
- Fifteen (15) students have registered for Ph. D.
- Seven students (07) have been awarded.
- Eight (08) students will complete Ph.D degree in coming years. Phil.
- Twenty-three (23) students have registered.
- Amongst Nineteen (19) candidates are being awarded.
- Four (04) others are likely to complete their work very soon.
Contribution in organizing Seminars/ Conferences:
Dr. Khare has an outstanding contribution in organizing and participating in various Seminars and conferences at the International and National level.
- He has organized forty-five (45) International Seminars, Conferences, and Workshops.
- Similarly, he organized forty-nine (49) National Seminars, Conferences, and Workshops.
- He participated in Thirty-four (34) Seminars, Conferences, and Workshops at International level.
- Besides, he organized various Short- term Courses, Refresher Courses, and Capacity Building Courses in Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune.
In addition, he is one of the best public speakers and delivered more than 200 Public talks and participated in various TV shows as an International Study Analyst in regional and English Language.
Remarkable contribution as an Institution Builder:
Apart from academic qualities, he initiated following Centers as an Institution builder first ever in India-
- Established first ever chair of Excellence in the name of Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh in collaboration with Indian Air Force, Government of India.
- Established the First ever, “Center for John Dewey Studies” in India, at SPPU in collaboration with the University of Texas, USA.
- Introduced Five Year Intergraded MA/MSc Course in National Security a first ever attempt in India, and MA in Social and Public Policy Courses and various Post Graduate Diplomas in Defence and Strategic Studies, and Ambedkar Studies.
Contribution to Ambedkar Thoughts:
Dr. Khare's contribution in the field of Dr. Ambedkar Studies is remarkable. He is the first scholar who conceptualized Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar‟s ideas and thoughts in Security Framework. He accomplished his Ph.D. on, “Critical Study on Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar’s Thoughts on India’s National Security”. He published his work in a book form entitled, “Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar‟s Thoughts on India‟s National Security”, and received the First International Literary Award for his work from Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Mission, Canada. In addition, Maharashtra Sahitya Parishad, Pune, awarded Dr. Khare for his work that has been translated into Marathi. He is an exclusively instrumental in establishing the Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Studies Centre in 2007 at SPPU, funded by UGC and converted the Centre into a Full-fledged Department under faculty of Humanities and imparting academic Courses in M.A. in Ambedkar Thoughts and National Security, M.A. in Social and Public Policy, and Post Graduate Diploma in Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar and India’s National Security.
Contribution to the Department of Defence and Strategic Studies:
Dr. Khare introduced new Five-Year Intergraded M.A./M.Sc. Course in National Security Studies a first ever attempt in India, M.A. in Global Peace, Security and Strategic Studies, and nine (09) various Post Graduate Diplomas in Defence and Strategic Studies. Considering his dedication to the department,
Savitribai Phule Pune University conferred the Best Department Award - 2019 to Defence and Strategic Studies.
Distinguished Academic and Administrative Posts:
Dr. Khare holds a number of academic and administrative posts. At present, he holds the following distinguished positions and he has 25 years 8 months rich teaching and research experience at Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune.
- Professor Department of Defence & Strategic Studies from 2nd September 2010 to till date.
- Professor and Head Department of Defence and Strategic Studies March 2017 to till date
- Director & Head, Office for International Affairs (formerly International Centre), SPPU from 20th September 2012 to till date.
- Director & Head Department of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Studies (formerly Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Studies Centre) from August 2006 till date
- Director, Yashwantrao Chavan National Center of International Security and Defence Analysis (YCNISDA) from 30 July, 2016 till date
- Chairman Board of Defence and Strategic Studies from August 2010 to till date
Moreover, following positions are in Other Universities:
- Member, Board of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Thoughts Faculty of Humanities in Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University from 13rd October 2018.
- Member of Board of Military Science, Faculty of Humanities in Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University from 13rd October 2018.
- Member of Research and Recognition Committee Board of Defence and Strategic Studies in North Maharashtra University.
- Member of Research and Recognition Committee, Board of Defence and Strategic Studies in Mumbai University, Mumbai.
Besides, he had held the following positions in administrative area-
- Dean; faculty of Humanities during March 2017 to 2019 in the context of New University Act implemented by Government of Maharashtra. In his tenure, Dr. Khare introduced Choice Based Credit Based System (CBCS) to all programmes from UG to PG and simultaneously revised the entire curriculum of the same in Savitribai Phule Pune University Pune.
- He was the member of the Working Group on Higher Education Planning Commission for framing the 12th Five Year Plan on higher education, Government of India.
- He was Coordinator Babasaheb Ambedkar Chair, SPPU 26 July 2006 to 24 April 2019.
- Member of Senate from 21 March 2016 to October 2019
- Member Board of Examination and Evaluation from 21st March to October 2019.
- Member of Academic Council from August 2010 to August to till date
- Chairman Board of Studies (Defence and Strategic Studies) from August 2010 to till date
- Member of Research and Recognition Committee (Board of Department of Defence and Strategic Studies) from August 2010 to till date
- Member of Standing Committee from August 2010 to August 2015.
Dr. Khare is a member of the Commission on Social Sciences of the Indian National Commission for Cooperation, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education, since October 2015. He is also a Life Member for various Professional organizations in India.
His areas of expertise are International Relations, National Security, Non-traditional Security, Terrorism and Counter-terrorism, Peace and Conflict Studies, Human-rights and Internationalization of Higher Education.