Located on the scenic campus of the University of Pune,The department of Mathematics and Statistics was established in 1953. The department was initially situated in the main building of the University. Prof. V. S. Huzurbazar was the first head of the department. In 1962 the department was shifted to its new elegant building later named as `Wrangler Paranjapye Ganit ani Sankhyashastra Bhavan'. The department of Statistics was separated in 1976.